Pivot Cycles has introduced their first carbon fiber mountain bike, the 2012 Mach 5.7 Carbon. While hinting at the possibility of a carbon fiber frame at last year’s Interbike show, company founder Chris Cocalis was adamant that the company would not release a carbon fiber model for the sake of using the trendy material. “We are not going to jump to carbon fiber until it makes sense for Pivot riders,” explained Chris last year. “When we feel we can surpass the weight, durability and performance levels of our existing aluminum frames, you will see a carbon fiber Pivot.” That day has come.
While this is Pivot’s first carbon fiber frame, the company is no stranger to working with carbon fiber. Using technology and experience from their road projects (Pivot’s sister company is BH Bikes) Pivot brings hollow-box, high-compression internal molding technology to the Mach 5.7 frame. Pivot claims the frame tips the scales at five pounds.
With the Mach 5.7 Carbon, Pivot has maximized the diameter of all front triangle tubes for a more compact design that increases the 5.7’s torsional stiffness. The swingarm is a compact triangle featuring a large boxed structure at the main pivot and large diameter chainstay, seatstay, and cross brace tubing to maximize overall rear triangle stiffness. A new style dw-Link with a wider double row bearing placement is another new feature of the frame.
- 142 X 12mm through axle design featuring a forged 7075-T6 derailleur hanger with integrated axle nut.
- 160mm rear post mount.
- Special 4 place under top tube cable guide with dropper seat post cable routing.
- Special rubberized leather chainstay, inner seat stay, and downtube protectors.
- Direct Mount front derailleur design accommodates Shimano and SRAM systems.
- 5.5-inch or 5.9-inch travel fork compatibility.
- Tapered headtube
- 92-millimeter wide bottom bracket shell, compatible with Shimano, SRAM/Truvativ GXP, FSA, and Enduro bottom brackets.
- Colors include Matte Natural Carbon with Cyan (Blue), Red, Green, or Pink Highlights.
Pivot is taking orders now from their dealers for deliver later this year. Price information was not yet released.